[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Fri Mar 25 21:22:03 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 02:10:54PM +0100, Tux99 wrote:

> Quote: Robert Xu wrote on Fri, 25 March 2011 13:53
> > Hi,
> >
> > Based on all this conversation here, it is clear that we have gotten
> > off topic.
> > My suggestion would be to make a separate repository for Trinity.
> > Beware, we also updated Qt to version 3.3.8c (just a few minor
> > changes, no idea if bugs remain) while we finish the porting to Qt4.
>
> Thanks Robert, I might take up your offer of a repo on the Trinity servers
> if I decide to continue to build Trinty packages for Mageia. But right now
> I'm a bit demotivated to continue with this and in fact to continue with
> Mageia at all.
>
> Maybe I will rather help you to make some great Trinity packages for
> Redhat/Centos since I'm also a Redhat/Centos user, but right now I have to
> first make up my mind.
>
> --
> Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/
You’re quite quick to demotivate yourself. I waited nearly 2 years to
have my window manager inside my distribution, because it relies on a
specific compile option on a much used package (cairo).

During all that time, I _listened_ to people, and though it was kinda
heartbraking to admit they were right, I had to understand the reason
behind this.

Recently, I finally decided to get my hands dirty and to make cairo
available for every package, while at the same time providing a mean to
get the other cairo available for my package.

It seems you do not want to listen to other people concerns, that’s bad,
because that prevents you to find a solution that will make everyone
happy.

Now, people suggested you to do some things, and provide a way to have
what you want, please consider it, you’ll understand that people are not
against having qt3-devel if there is really such a need, and that TDE
can be included once it has been proven to not wreck havok in the
distribution (I know these last words are hard to read, because I was in
the same situation, but that concern is real).

Reassure people, by providing builds in a separate place so that people
can test having TDE and KDE, perhaps help you fix issues !

I wish you good luck for this, this is not an easy task, but please
change your way of doing things, it’s not by shouting louder than the
others that you will get something (you nearly replied to everyone in
this thread), people don’t want words, people want acts. You have the
freedom to act, take this opportunity :-)

my 2 cents
--
Rémy CLOUARD