[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 02:15:08 CEST 2011

On 27 March 2011 23:02, Olivier Blin <mageia at blino.org> wrote:
> nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> writes:
>
>> And do you have any objective compelling reason to include qt3-devel,
>> other than an arbitrary reason based on personal preferences ?
>
> For the same reason that you added Qt3: LSB
>
> If we want to be LSB compliant, it seems reasonable to provide the tools
> to build LSB-compliant packages.
>
> And also for qcad.
>
> If you think Qt3 is not maintained and should not be supported, then
> just drop the package...
> I see no reason for having half of the package.
>
> --
> Olivier Blin - blino

IIRC, stewbintn said qt3 dep will/is planned to be dropped from LSB upstream.

And just so that I make myself clearer, from my POV this thread is not
about adding, half-adding or half-removing or throwing qt3-devel out
the window... IMHO this is about whether or not to add Trinity to the
Mageia repos, that's the more important issue. Given how much a sticky
situation mdv was in with KDE4 in main and KDE3 in contrib that
doesn't look like an ideal situation for Mageia (IMHO).

(Also in one of the posts in this thread, someone said Trinity is
planning port KDE3 apps to Qt4, and here's me thinking that the
porting-of-kde3-apps-to-Qt4 has already happened in a project called
KDE4 that made its first initial release on the 11th of January 2008,
about 3 years ago, c.f.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_Software_Compilation_4....)

--
Ahmad Samir