[Mageia-dev] Tainted Software - once more

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 17:47:26 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 16:02, Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> On 04/14/2011 07:28 AM, Tux99 wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know what the status of the buildsystem with regards to
>> building dual core/tainted packages from a single source rpm is?

Not done yet. It's in sysadmin team's TODO (the usual "sysadmin team
members welcomes people to help" is still valid).

> And to re-ask a related question that was never resolved: is "tainted"
> supposed to be a replacement for PLF, or will PLF still be required for
> those who want/need packages with legal limitations ?

We still need to improve on that yes (would it be only for Tier2
mirrors). To be discussed at the next Council?

Anyway, there's no general rule for that, further than: what goes here is:
 - what is either free software or not (could go in core or nonfree),
 - but that may not be redistributable in some areas (because of
software patents or other issues).

Defining what is the valid reference area to allow redistribution is
not done yet, but we can aim at Europe/France (this is where the
primary mirror is) - the only main threat I can see here is the coming
European Patent initiative, however I am not sure what stance this one
will take regarding the possibility of software patents.

That in turn doesn't mean that redistribution of tainted _is_
forbidden out of this reference area. But it means that software that
could be forbidden, may be included in tainted.

Others may confirm that this will cover most of what PLF provides
already - but that there will be some packages left anyway.

For all the rest (stuff we can't, for certain, legally distribute
within EU/France), you'll need a separate repository Mageia.Org can't

Now, what the precise list of packages in tainted is... depends on
packagers. See current:
http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/distrib/cauldron/i586/media/tainted/release/

However, for sure, there should be a list maintained somewhere of the
list of software that cannot be added in tainted, and for what reason
(and what the resolution of it would need to be). So that each request
for a potential package in tainted gets documented.

Romain