[Mageia-dev] Some changes on svn

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 01:37:12 CEST 2011

On 21 April 2011 23:50, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 21 avril 2011 à 22:49 +0200, Michael Scherer a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have done some change regarding svn access, and while I am carefully
>> testing to not break it, if someone has a problem, please report it
>> ( with your login, telling if you can connect or not ).
>>
>> The goal is to simplify the way we manage everything, so translators can
>> later be able to commit their work.
>
> So it seems to work fine.
>
> But now, this lead me to another question :
> - how do we manage commit access to the repository soft/
>
> For now, only packagers can access it, mainly because that's the only
> group we had at that time. But in fact, I see no reason to use this
> group more than another.
>
> We have a few choice :
> - let anybody commit , all people in shell_access group could do it.
> Right now, that mean sysadmins, web developer, forum developers,
> translators, packagers and apprentices.
>
> - create a group for developers, and let them have access on the svn,
> and add i18n committers on a subset.
>
> I was about to do the 2nd stuff, but looking for documentation, the svn
> book convinced me to do the first one (
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.pathbasedauthz.html ).
>
> But this solution kinda negate the goal and the existence of "developer
> team". On the other hand, the team do not exist right now.
>
> What do people think of it ?
> --
> Michael Scherer

I am not an SVN expert, but I'd go with option 1, the groups you
listed should have access to /soft/, and if something goes wrong, the
mistake can always be rectified and the person who did it will be told
off and shown the wrong of his ways; that and all the people in those
groups are expected to act responsibly with the privileges they're
given...

--
Ahmad Samir