[Mageia-dev] Please ensure that packages have higher version than in mandriva 2010.2

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Mon May 2 00:46:31 CEST 2011

Thomas Backlund said on Sun, May 01, 2011 at 03:07:58PM +0300:

> > Most of the time it's just for avoiding an incompatibility which will
> > force the distribution to keep it for the rest of its life. So adopting
>
> Thats the price you have to pay when you want to alter versioning
> downwards or otherwise fix it...

Isn't that too high for a new distribution ?

In that case, the move was done upstream as well, as it wsa wrongly
named first.
But that has been done back in "2006-03-20 Mondo 2.0.7 / Mindi 1.0.7 are
out".

Isn't is possible to find another way to cure an old mistake ?

Could we not deliever mondo e.g. in the first version of mageia, and
start with the second one ?

> rpm/urpmi does not read release notes, errata or other documentation
> (and neither does most endusers)

THey're wrong, you learn a lot in them ;-)

> And we stated from the beginning of Mageia that we will support upgrade
> from 2010.1/2

Well I can understand that for core packages, but for contrib, that's a
unique opportunity to fix what was wrong.

> So, either you or someone else will have to add the epoch to satisfy
> rpm/urpmi upgrade path, and it needs to be done quickly as we are soon
> to enter release freeze and release RC.

iCould I do something on the mandriva side (as I'm also packager there)
to fix it ? Like breaking compatibility there instead of here ;-)

Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net