[Mageia-dev] mediawiki package

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Fri May 6 13:35:16 CEST 2011

On Fri, 6 May 2011, nicolas vigier wrote:

> On Fri, 06 May 2011, Christiaan Welvaart wrote:
>
>> The current mediawiki package puts the temporary writable config dir in
>> /usr/share which AFAIK violates FHS - /usr should only be written during
>> package (de)installation. I checked out the mediawiki package in fedora and
>> I think we should use it as a base for the mageia package. Significant
>> differences are:
>>
>>   - tex (tetex/texlive) dependency separated into a mediawiki-math pkg
>>   - separate code (in /usr/share) from configuration (user defined, e.g.
>>     /var/www or /srv) and allow multiple wiki configs
>
> Interesting. To allow multiple wikis with same code, it can be done
> in the config file, after setting some variable in the vhost config, the
> config file use this variable to decide which config to load.
>
> However the config file is usually created by mediawiki itself, by the
> install steps in mediawiki, when the database is created. If the config
> file is already there, the database will not be created by mediawiki.
> I don't know how it can be done automatically during package install.
> I will look at fedora package how they do this.

Users (well, administrators) run a script to create a wiki, this symlinks
index.php (which is in /usr/share) to the directory the user provided, and
creates a config directory where mediawiki will put the config file it
generates. So the website's wiki dir only contains a few symlinks, a
config file and an images dir (the config dir should be removed after
configuration, this is standard mediawiki practice).

>> I got it working on mageia cauldron after fixing installation for
>> postgresql databases, but my package is not finished: I didn't check yet if
>> anything should be merged from the mageia/mandriva package, and I had to
>> configure the apache side manually, while I would expect some parts to be
>> preconfigured.
>
> Yes. However, it should not prevent using the package with something
> else than apache, or with different settings.
>
> Maybe this config can be done by a subpackage ?

It has documentation in /etc/httpd/conf.d/mediawiki.conf which can be
uncommented or copy/pasted into some other config file. Maybe it just
needs to be moved to /etc/httpd/conf/webapps.d/mediawiki.conf where I
think the mandriva config file was.

     Christiaan