[Mageia-dev] tests beta2 live

Alberto Girlando girlando at unipr.it
Thu May 12 16:40:51 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 21:38 +0300, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> On 02.05.2011 13:53, Alberto Girlando wrote:
> > 3) MSI notebook, Intel i7, NVidia GE force GTX 425
> >    Here the live does not boot, it stops at the moment
> >    of showing the language choice. I had problems
> >    also in the installation of mandriva. However,
> >    there I could get system starting in VESA.
> >    With other live distro (Ubuntu-based) I could get
> >    the system working imposing -xforcevesa at startup.
> >    With mageia this trick does not work.
>
> I can't comment on the actual issue without /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
> dmesg, but on Mageia livecd you can force vesa with boot option
> xdriver=vesa

I was using a live edition, the computer is not
in my exclusive use. So when the system was
freezing at boot, there was no way to access
the info. But with your suggestion I was able
to boot with X-windows. From the experience
with Mandriva, good operating conditions can
be otained once I install the Nvidia
proprietary drivers (again, I could not make this test
on the live). Maybe the suggestion xdriver=vesa can
be put in the help screen.

The live version works well on another old netbook,
Asus M3000Np (celeron, Intel 810 video). Since
Mandriva 2009, this computer started to give problems
with the graphic driver: after a short period in X-window,
the system, or better, X, was freezing. I could avoid this
if before entering as user, I put the computer in sleep mode.
Very strange. I also called for a bug, but since the problem was
so singular, no one addressed it in mandriva. With the live
version everything is OK.

Alberto