[Mageia-dev] Are we on time?

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Wed Jun 1 03:34:07 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 01:48:53AM +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:
>Le mardi 31 mai 2011 à 18:41 +0200, Anne nicolas a écrit :
>> Guess what... yes :)
>
>( sorry to contradict you )
>
>Last minute check showed 2 problems :
>
>- the dual iso is too big ( ~56 mo too big, maybe because of samba ), so
>it doesn't fit on a regular cd. Pterjan found some fix in bcd to reduce
>that problem.
>
>- the dual is not hybrid ( the first sector are empty ), as seen by
>hexedit ( so it doesn't boot on usb ). It seems to miss a call to
>isohybrid -fatfirst
>
>We removed the dual for now from main mirror, and we will likely have to
>remaster it for the first issue. We didn't decide yet if we ship the iso
>as is with a newer version later or not ( as the iso work, except for
>those 2 issues, and the 2nd one is easy to fix ).

I think issue #1 would make the ISO worthless for most of the intended
audience. Also, as I think the CD image will be preferred by people over
the DVD image who are on a limited connections, I think we should not
release an ISO file that's too big; It would not be a very positive first
impression for them with Mageia.

My two cents worth. Sleep tight all and thanks for all the hard work :-)

Remmy