[Mageia-dev] noarch packages containing binaries should be rejected

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 2 11:43:40 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Kamil Rytarowski at 02/04/12 10:26 did gyre and gimble:
> On 02.04.2012 11:20, Sander Lepik wrote:
>> 02.04.2012 12:04, Kamil Rytarowski kirjutas:
>>> But then we have got again 32-bit software marked as noarch
>>> (Skype,..). And people seem too lazy to add 1 simple source for it..
>> Since when does get-skype contain such objects or any binary?
>> get-skype won't trigger such warning so i see no problem here.
>>
>> --
>> Sander
>>
> I'm personally maintaining Full Recall (fullrecall) and following this
> get-skype rule, to push it into noarch - because people cannot find
> it... of course I can make a walk around to push the binaries directly
> from the website... but this isn't needed, since the author allows to
> redistribute it.

Remember that get-skype is just a downloading script.

If it works the same way as get-skype, then it the package itself does
not *contain* any binaries, but simply downloads them at install time.

I'd say this is fair enough. But if it does contain binaries, then it is
not noarch. I think this is a clear cut definition.

The correct fix for this fullrecall package is simply to fix it to build
under 64 bit.