[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 12 12:37:54 CEST 2012

2012/4/12 John Balcaen <mikala at mageia.org>:
> 2012/4/12 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> [...]
>> We have been talking about handbooks because they are single packages
>> (not included in the software package) which are not needed/wanted by
>> everybody and they are not necessary to run the software.
> Handbooks *are* part of the software and "artificially" generate as
> standalone package to fix a bug affecting live cd where this documentation
> was not available to ease *installation* of it instead of reinstall all of
> it.
> If we're able in the future to get more space on our live-cd you can be sure
> that i'll (if I'm still in charge) revert this ugly hack.

I am strictly opposed to include documentation in a software package,
in general, not only in the case at hand. Although I spent much time
for voluntary translation work, I still think it is up to the user if
he wants/needs the documentation. A prominent example which matches my
POV is The Gimp.

Reality is that in non-technical issues people in charge decide on the
basis of their opinion. That's the normal way and the rest has to live
with it. I have no problem with that.

> For the record luc also fix the installation of wrong handbooks on the DVD
> install ( only the suggests one should be installed with the correct app) &
> I'll try to fix the last remaining bug pointed by anssi where a handbook
> could stay available when the related app is removed.

If non-installation of handbooks is not possible then at least make it
possible to *uninstall* handbooks without having to use 'rpm --nodeps'
on each and every one.

--
wobo