[Mageia-dev] RFC: Add versioned require in rpm on rpm-helper

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Mon Apr 16 11:30:01 CEST 2012

Thierry Vignaud skrev 16.4.2012 12:20:

>>> That will work for urpmi that will upgrade rpm first before restarting
>>> but not for installer that doesn't need restarting itself (since we do
>>> not  use the system's urpmi).
>>
>> But AFAIK installer obeys rpm requires,
>
> yes
>
>> so when it installs rpm, it will put rpm-helper in same transaction, wont it ?
>
> NO.
> Read again what I wrote: installer doesn't do any priority upgrade since
> it doesn't need upgrading itself and doesn't use the installed system rpm/urpmi

Ah, you only mentioned system urpmi (not rpm) first time.

but wont installer already use correct rpm/rpm-helper, since it's built
from current cauldron packages?
(and can be rebuilt again after updated rpm-helper)

>> and since rpm is a priority package, it will be done in the beginning, wont
>> it ?
>
> NO.

but since it's already correct version in stage2, we should already be
ok, or... ?

>>> A somewhat nicer fix would be to auto generate some
>>> 'needs-systemd-aware-rpm-helper'
>>> requires for packages providing systemd units, having rpm-helper
>>> fulfil this provides
>>

>> Then we wouldn't need this.
>
> Yes we do

So instead of fixing one package we will have to fix many packages :/

--
Thomas