[Mageia-dev] RFC: Add versioned require in rpm on rpm-helper

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:50:46 CEST 2012

On 16 April 2012 14:33, Thomas Backlund <tmb at mageia.org> en eus skrivet:
>>> So just to make sure I'm following this right:
>>>  1. Versioned require will fix urpmi-based upgrades.
>>>
>>>  2. Installer (fresh-install) will be fine because basesystem-minimal
>>> will pull in rpm which will pull in rpm-helper.  WE can be confident
>>> this will happen early.
>>
>> No you cannot on upgrade.
>> Package ordering will depends on versioned requires.
>>
>>>  3. Installer (upgrade) will still be broken as it does not treat the
>>> rpm package inside the chroot as any kind of priority update that is
>>> installed early in the upgrade process.
>>
>> installer upgrade will be OK if systemd unit packages require a recent
>> enough rpm-helper
>
> So, if I read this right, if we set versioned Requires(pre) rpm-helper on
> systemd (or systemd-units) we will fix 2 and 3 too as anything systemd
> related depends on theese packages ?

Again this won't work.
eg: nginx provides a systemd unit but doesn't require systemd.
So you cannot guaranty that systemd (& thus rpm-helper) will got
installed prior those packages

It's the all the packages that provides systemd units that should
requires a recent enough rpm-helper.
Not just systemd.

> But what will happend to initscript/sysvinit installs ?

Those will upgrade to systemd due to automatic
choice between systemd & sysvinit-legacy.