[Mageia-dev] problems connecting to new wlan access points

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Apr 17 00:08:16 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 16/04/12 23:01 did gyre and gimble:
> 'Twas brillig, and Hugo Pereira Da Costa at 16/04/12 21:51 did gyre and
> gimble:
>> On 04/16/2012 10:14 PM, Mika Laitio wrote:
>>> I am always having problems for connecting to new access points with
>>> the drakconf. Drakconf is able to show up the list of access points just
>>> fine and also the config screen looks ok.
>>>
>>> Bu when I select the new ap from the list and press connect button, I
>>> usually get error message from the connection failure.
>>> This will happen even if I try to push the connect button again after
>>> the first failure.
>>>
>>> But if I instead reboot the machine after the failed connect, the
>>> network will be up just fine on next boot.
>>> I think the problem is not related to AP encryption mode as this is
>>> happening for me both with the OpenWEP and WPA/WPA2 connections.
>>>
>>> At the moment I am testing with machine having Intel Centrino-Ultimate-N
>>> 6300 wlan, but I have earlier seen similar problems at least with intel
>>> 2200 BG that I had on Dell D610.
>>>
>>> Mika
>> Hello,
>> just in case it helps:
>>
>> I've been having the same problems on several computers/installations
>> (and actually, also with mga1), and could always fix it by removing
>> (urpme) all networkmanager packages. My personal (naive and non-dev)
>> understanding of the issue being that there are some conflicts between
>> networkmanager and drakconnect.
>
> There are, but provided you disable NM, it should be OK and not run...
> unless it can perhaps be bus activated without going via systemd...
> hmmm, I wonder...

Hmm, no, this shouldn't be the case. If you disable NetworkManager in
systemd it shouldn't start either directly or via bus activation.

I'll try and do some more testes, but with all the NM compatibility
stuff that myself and blino did over the last few weeks I hope we've got
this issue licked.