[Mageia-dev] Freeze exception? MythTV.

Anssi Hannula anssi at mageia.org
Thu Apr 19 19:50:14 CEST 2012

19.04.2012 00:16, Colin Guthrie kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> MythTV has (at last!) a new version out. I would like to include this in
> mga2. I appreciate it's late but as a leaf package I think it'll be safe
> enough. It'll be the version I'll likely be personally running here at
> home (as a backport) so I'd prefer it if that was the same one I was
> supporting generally.
>
> But it's not something I'm massively worried about generally, so if
> people have strong feelings please do make them known.
>
> I've already ported the mythtv package and the LAME patches. Will do the
> plugins one shortly (I'll need to do this anyway for my own needs so not
> wasted effort).
>
> Anssi, what do you think about including this in mga2?

It indeed would be very late for such a change.

But I would still probably side on the allowing side, due to the sum of
the following reasons (which are not reasons enough on their own):
- maintainer wants to include it and is running it himself anyway, so it
  gets good testing and support
- MythTV has major releases very rarely (at least so far), but the
  release branches seem to be supported for a long time (unless I
  misinterpret their version numbers)
- bugs affecting the upgrade of the distribution are unlikely, since
  this is a leaf package
- bugs affecting the installation of the distribution are unlikely,
  since mythtv is not part of any default installation
- all bugs can still be fixed with /updates, and mythtv is not part
  of any release media AFAICS
- we don't have /backports for providing this afterwards

However, if other people are against this, I guess it is better not to
do it.

--
Anssi Hannula