[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-discuss] A proposal of some kind to get point of views & comments

Sebastian sebsebseb sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Fri Apr 20 22:47:30 CEST 2012

On 20/04/12 19:27, Kristoffer Grundström wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Now & then I tend to loose my mind & install Ubuntu on one of my
> computers & the last time I did it I heard about PPA's. I added a PPA
> & noticed how fun it was to test the code that it offers.
>
> This is the explanation of what PPA is & does according to the
> Ubuntu-page:
>
> *"Personal Package Archives (PPA) allow you to upload Ubuntu source
> packages to be built and published as an apt repository by Launchpad."*
>
> My idea would be something similar.
>
> It starts with the user that gets annoyed how some Mageia-packages
> that are meant to be stable that they aren't.
> Instead of having to do the job themselves they can just add a special
> media called user-contrib that contains packages built from git-source
> to be tested in Cauldron & then released as Backport-version when
> confirmed stable enough to see if the issue they had on the officially
> stable package is gone.
>
> I know that it would take many people to build thoose, but I'm willing
> to download git-code & compile & build for Mageia.
>
> I've already managed to compile & build the latest official version of
> Transmission without using the official Mageia patches & I've got NO
> problem at all using the package.
>
> Test theese packages & say what you think:
>
> http://199.91.153.84/c75b5l1s469g/yljxa1e92l5mmix/transmission-debug-2.51%2B-1.x86_64.rpm
>
> http://199.91.152.243/2wm8pbg3k5eg/9th0m5xxslth99a/transmission-2.51%2B-1.x86_64.rpm
>
> /Kristoffer

Hi

I have thought about it before how it could be useful after Mageia 2 has
been released for there to be PPA's or something like it for Mageia.

With Ubuntu PPA's are really just repo's that can be added by users so
that they can get later versions of software that aren't in the Ubuntu
repo's. With PPA's it's meant to be known as well that they may be
buggy, because usually they have just been made by developers/packagers
or something like that I think, and not gone through a proper Quality
Assurance process. Really they are meant to be aimed at more experienced
users, but it seems that more recently since 2008 or something like
that, that quite a lot of less experienced Ubuntu users may also have at
least one PPA installed. Also to many installed PPA's can cause issues
with the Ubuntu install.

I have been thinking before about the current Mageia release cycle and
when it comes to Gnome. Since the 9 months release cycle for example, it
seems that sometimes a new major version of Gnome will have to be
skipped, as in not offered by Mageia as an update for any supported
stable final release at the time.  I am not a developer, but I assume
those versions of Gnome can be put into Cauldron and then backported to
the current stable release as well, or put into something like a PPA for
users to install into final Mageia releases. As for Cauldron it should
keep on having the latest versions of Gnome, usually development versions.

In general most Desktop Linux users want the latest final versions of
the software that they use it seems, and I think that it would be good
if there was a easy way to offer this for most or all packages. This is
where something like Ubuntu's PPA's would come in.

I think if Mageia has something like PPA's, they shouldn't need to
require QA from the QA team and it should be known users and potential
users that they may be buggy/unstable.  Where as backports of course
will have gone through the Mageia QA team process.

As for the PPA's themselves or the something like it, would need a
website for it like they have for Ubuntu
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas and they should only be offered on
the site from people who have gone through the Mageia packaging process
and become trusted packagers I think.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ubuntu-ppa-technology-explained/

https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

 From Sebastian sebsebseb