[Mageia-dev] push java-1.7.0-openjdk

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 16:04:09 CEST 2012

Le 21/04/2012 14:12, D.Morgan a écrit :
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Guillaume Rousse
> <guillomovitch at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> yes as told i will do :)  tomcat5 is the first on my todo ;)
>>
>> Do we really need to have 3 different tomcat versions in the distribution
>> (5, 6 and 7) given the relatively high maintainance cost ? I'd rather drop
>> tomcat 5 than continue to have it on the list of blocker bugs before every
>> release.
>
> this is planned for mga3 when we will have ported all packages needing
> tomcat5 to use a newer version.
I'd rather first have the same interrogation for those packages before
investing any manpower in porting them: do we really need all of them in
the distribution ?

For instance, struts12 is a deprecated version of struts, dating from
2005, whereas current major version is 2.3. tiles20 is a deprecated
version of tiles, whose current version is 2.2.2. Etc...

I would have nothing againt those gazillion packages being present in
the distribution if their had no side-effect for the rest of the world
not using them. However, they do, when they involves release-blockers
bugs. And given you're almost the only guy working on the java stack,
I'd personnaly prefer to have you working on real issues affecting end
users (for instance #2516 and  #2517) than fixing security issues for
softwares very unlikely to be used at all...

My point is that we could achieve better results with more focused
objectives in this regard.
--
BOFH excuse #103:

operators on strike due to broken coffee machine