[Mageia-dev] [soft-commits] [4244] services: Do not rely on /var/lock/subsys/ $service to determin if a service is running or not.

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 10:58:35 CEST 2012

On 25 April 2012 10:52, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> BTW we should make is_service_running more robust by handling services
>
> Maybe, but unless this is happening before mga2, then there is little
> point as all services have a status under systemd.
>
> There is also the problem of how do you check? We are already using the
> exit code...

for systemd, future is shinning.
For older initscripts w/o units or when running under sysvinit,
we sadly cannot disting between error code b/c status is KO
from "I don't actually implement status" w/o first checking
for usage (grepping output of "service foobar").

Since that's an old issue, maybe should we just not care about it
and wait for systemd to eventually kill sysvinit in mga3.

I've also seen status displaying errors but returning 0 :-)
But that cannot be fixed.