[Mageia-dev] ANNOUNCE: The /usr move cometh! <---- Instructions

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 01:40:06 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Pascal Terjan <pterjan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> OK, so the packages have now all been uploaded.
>>
>> You should see several packages now that you cannot install on Cauldron.
>> This is intended behaviour.
>>
>> Here is how to update your cauldron systems:
>>
>>  1. Run "urpmi --auto-update" install everything that can be installed.
>>  2. Ensure that latest dracut is installed. Run "urpmi dracut" to make
>> sure (it may have been excluded in the --auto-update if it was in a
>> transaction with other packages that could not be installed).
>>  3. Ensure that you do not have zapata or dpkg installed (rpm -e zapata;
>> rpm -e dpkg)
>>  4. Generate a new initrd and include the conversion script: dracut -f
>> -a convertfs
>>  5. If you have /usr on a separate partition
>>      - Ensure there is enough free space to hold /bin, /sbin, /lib and
>> /lib64 content.
>>      - If your /usr is mounted readonly, change your /etc/fstab to mount
>> it rw.
>>  6. Reboot.
>>  7. At the bootloader prompt, edit the command line and append: "rw
>> rd.convertfs" (without the quotes) to your command line and then boot.
>>
>> That should be all that is needed :)
>
> How to update a chroot?

Answering to myself:

chroot $chroot urpmi dracut
$chroot/usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/30convertfs/convertfs.sh $chroot

That did the conversion, but I still can't update, probably because my
rpm is too old (rpm-4.9.1.3-2.mga2) as it was not possible to update
it before the conversion (it pulls filesystem).