[Mageia-dev] Free software needing non-free data

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Sun Aug 5 16:09:14 CEST 2012

> Hi,
>
> I've reread our policy, but it's unclear to me where to put free software
> that
> can't work (in a useful way for a user) without non-free data.
>
> We currently have a mix of situations (sometimes in core, sometimes in
> nonfree), which shows that it's not totally clear to other packagers
> either.
>
> I see 2 different situations:
>
> --- redistributable data ---
> Data is put in nonfree media, so the binaries are put in nonfree too
> because
> we can't put a requires from core to nonfree
>
> Example : warsow and warsow-data
>
> --- non redistributable data ---
> Here two different policies seem to be applied, depending on the packager:
> 1°) put the binaries in core, since they are free
> 2°) put the binaries in non-free, since they are useless without non-free
> data
> (extrapolation of the "self-contained" rule of core)
>
> And there are grayzone cases, such as:
> - prboom (free) which is meant to work with Doom's wads (nonfree) but can
> also
> work with freedoom (free), so it's in core even if we apply 2°
> - ioquake3, which is an engine that can be used by other free games
> (although
> I think they often ship their own modified version), so it's in core even
> if we
> apply 2°

there's also eduke32, which is free; but, there are some grayzones.

in theory, you need Duke Nukem 3D CD.

but there's also mods for it and some work with duke3D files.

there's also a duke3D-hrp (high resolution content) which needs duke3D cd
to work.

then there's also the demo, which is shareware (allthough redistributable
status is unclear), and should be possible to use this without the CD.

It's definately possible to use eduke32 with your own content. and might
be possible to run some of the mods without the duke nukem CD. (allthough
i haven't doublechecked).

for this, i would like to have the eduke32-hrp (400MB) in non-free because
it requires non-redistributable data, but the eduke32 in free. because
it's free. even if you make your own content or find some mods that are
free and have no requirement on non-free content.

i would add a message that this free program can/might depend on non-free
or even non-distributable content. so that if nonfree is disabled, the
person would be notified and the suggests be invalidated (not require)