[Mageia-dev] latest kernels not powering off machines on shutdown

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Aug 9 20:45:37 CEST 2012

On 08/09/2012 02:35 PM, Olivier Blin wrote:
> Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've the impression that for some time, kernels do not power off machines
>> anymore on shutdown.
>> The kernel prints "System halted." but the machine remains powered.
>> I've seen that with VMs and with real PCs.

There was a discussion some months back about this (I forget whether it
was here or cooker).  Basically, someone discovered that "halt" had been
out-of-spec for years because it wasn't *supposed* to power the machine
off --- you were supposed to use "poweroff" for that. So it got "fixed",
and a bunch of people started asking "what happened ?".