[Mageia-dev] latest kernels not powering off machines on shutdown

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:33:52 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Pascal Terjan at 09/08/12 20:04 did gyre and gimble:
>> Yes because it totally makes sense to have a command to halt the
>> operating system but leave the machine using some power for nothing
>> (and preventing you from powering it on with wol). I am sure someone
>> believes it can be useful in some strange scenario.
>
> It's very useful and it was essential for me during the previous release
> to debug shutdown logic.

But you are one of the very few people in the world interested in it,
and you are doing something special (debugging) so you can run any
command it.

> I want to see and read the debug that happens here and with a regular
> poweroff the debug disappears before you can read it. It's maybe not
> something you want to use regularly, but it doesn't mean it's not
> useful. There were always "poweroff" and "halt" commands - the names
> speak for themselves, it's just people got used to broken behaviour in
> the past. If you want to power your machine down, just type "poweroff".
> If you want to halt it, then type "halt". Kinda self explanatory really.
> Use the right tool for the right job :)

But even since I know it has changed, 10 years habits had me typing
halt and then saying some bad words as it meant I would not be able to
power it on again for a few days.