[Mageia-dev] latest kernels not powering off machines on shutdown

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 21:11:24 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Jose Jorge <lists.jjorge at free.fr> wrote:
> Le 09/08/2012 20:10, Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've the impression that for some time, kernels do not power off machines
>> anymore on shutdown.
>> The kernel prints "System halted." but the machine remains powered.
>> I've seen that with VMs and with real PCs.
>>
>> Does someone else see that?
>
> Yes, and some other distros do the same (at least Slitaz). Before Mageia 2,
> there was no interest in having both halt and poweroff doing the same.
>
> Now, we can do "poweroff" to cut the power after stopping the kernel, or
> "halt" to keep  the power on.

How many people expect their machine to power off when they type halt?
How many people will want their machine to not halt and not poweroff?

Said in another way:
- How many people will this change cause problem to?
- How many people will benefit from it?

I would expect the ratio to be about at least 99.9/0.1 which is why I hate it.

This change seem to be done without any consideration for users.