[Mageia-dev] UsrMove failure

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 14 11:34:48 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Johnny A. Solbu at 14/08/12 10:21 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tuesday 14 August 2012 10:54, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 3. reboot and make sure all is well.
>
> And now I can't even do that. ;-)=
>
> It halts on automatic fsck failure, and prompts me to run fsck
> manually. However fsck is NOT available. Almost No tools of any kind
> is available to use. I can't even access the fstab to figure out
> which device I need to fsck, hence I CANNOT check the filesystem.
>
> Any ideas?

So I guess you're in the initrd? What kind of filesystem are you
running? I happily have e2fsck in my initrd.

Reboot with an older kernel and make sure that's still OK first then try
and investigate why dracut will not generate a working initrd for you.

I deliberately held back on updating dracut until after the usrmove as I
wanted to use the same version as on mga2. Since the usrmove is quite
far behind us now, dracut has been upgraded. I called for tests a while
back but received no negative feedback so now it's out to the masses.
I'd investigate exactly what's causing the broken initrd first and
foremost. e.g. by looking at what it says when it's generating etc.