[Mageia-dev] Package removal proposal

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Sun Aug 26 22:47:06 CEST 2012

* Colin Guthrie (mageia at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
> In my opinion we should run a tight ship. If users want to use something
> we no longer ship, then they still have several choices:
>  1. Don't install task-obsolete and add it to their skip.list.

As obsoletes are automatically promote, there is no way to keep a package
except adding it to skip.list.

>  3. Package it and become a contributor (assuming the reason for
> dropping the package was due to a lack of maintainer rather than a
> specific desire/reason (i.e. legal))

Sys admin work is not to make package.

> For all of these options the user is both informed and can make a very
> clear, concious choice about how they want to proceed and know the
> consequences of doing so.

This system silently remove packages. I am pretty sure a lot of people
will wonder why some need libraries get removed from their system at
each update...

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS