[Mageia-dev] Fresh mga2 install - NO screen !

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Aug 30 13:18:46 CEST 2012

On 08/29/2012 11:18 PM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
>> Like some missing firmware  ?
> As I were saying, I don't use proprietary drivers. That includes proprietary firmware.
> And I have Not enabled the nonfree repo.

That may be the problem.  For many ATI cards (yes, I know you're
nvidia), the install sets an ATI driver (free or proprietary) which will
not work without nonfree firmware, resulting in exactly what you see.
These days, for a cauldron install, I have to specifically select "vesa"
during install, and only switch it to the actual driver after firmware
has been installed.

You need to figure out what driver is being set by the install, and what
its requirements are.  Worst case, redo the install and in Summary
choose Graphical and see what's selected by default.  Then select
"Xorg::vesa", and go with that until this has been cleared up.  Googling
a combination of your card model and the driver name will probably help.