[Mageia-dev] Will the 'official' Mageia-3 installer have a 'GRUB Legacy' option?

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 02:19:21 CET 2012

Maurice Batey wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:51:52 +0100, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>
>> If you have another distribution
>> installed with grub-legacy it is easy to install a second distro which
>> uses grub2 (use chainloader in your existing grub-legacy).
>
>   Depends on where GRUB2 is installed.
> If it goes in the MBR, then how does one get to existing GRUB-Legacy
> installs?
>   (I do not know how to chainload from a GRUB2 menu to a GRUB-Legacy
>   install,
> though I can from GRUB-Legacy to GRUB2).

Getting GRUB2 to chain load something would be a good trick, I will
have to research that.

> My experience with GRUB2 distros such as Ubuntu 12.01 and Mint 13 is that
> although their menus do include existing GRUB-Legacy installs, they fail
> to boot them.

What I've been doing lately is to install everything with its default
boot loader into its root partition and have a tiny partition at the
end of the disk that contains just a lilo configuration file and map file.

That configuration file contains stansas like;
other=/dev/sda5
	label="sda5_live"
	optional

Lilo only has to be rerun when you resize partitions or want to make
cosmetic changes to them menu.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...