[Mageia-dev] ANN: Upgrading from Mageia 2 via urpmi

Thomas Spuhler thomas at btspuhler.com
Sat Dec 8 23:51:15 CET 2012

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 09:37:43 AM Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As many of you know, upgrading from Mageia 2 is somewhat tricky due to
> the usr move.
>
> With Alpha3 comes the ability for the installer to upgrade the
> filesystem layout, but many of you (myself included) prefer upgrading
> via urpmi rather than the installer.
>
> While this is possible with some manual commands, it's not as trivial a
> task as it should be - until now!!
>
> So I've just pushed the package mageia-prepare-upgrade to mga2
> core/updates_testing.
>
> This package, when installed will add a new menu option to your
> bootloader. Simply install this package, reboot, select the "Mageia 3
> Upgrade Preparation" entry boot, wait while your FS is converted and
> then perform a urpmi upgrade as you would normally.
>
> I've not specifically tested the upgrade part, only the installation and
> creation of the initrd and bootloader entries in grub. I've also not
> done this on an mga2 machine yet but will do soon enough.
>
> I just wanted to get this package "out there" for anyone wanting to
> update their mga2 machines to mga3 a3 but not wanting to use the installer.
>
> At present there are a few limitations:
>
> 1. It requires kernel 3.3.8-2.mga2 to be installed (any flavour should
> work). A specific kernel version is not really 100% necessary but it
> does mean I can add hard requires to the package. This is only desirable
> to prevent the situation where users install this upgrade package but do
> not run it and later remove the kernel used to generate the initrd for
> the bootloader menu item, thus breaking it. Any smarter ideas on how to
> manage this welcome.
>
> 2. If you have /usr in a separate partition and have it mounted ro in
> your fstab, you will have to manually change the fstab to rw for the
> upgrade boot.
>

> Happy testing. Let me know if it kills any kittens. Please keep a backup
> etc. etc.
>
> Col
Thanks Colin.
The conversion works. But then the problem shows, we have no network.
doing a urpmi --download-all --auto-update only downloads the fist 120+ rpms (the ones needed before
restart-urpmi

What is needed is to add some directories and then the network will start
/var/run/netreport
/var/lock/subsystem/network

I will check after the upgrade if they can be deleted

--
Best regards
Thomas Spuhler