[Mageia-dev] ANN: Upgrading from Mageia 2 via urpmi

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Dec 9 19:49:03 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 09/12/12 12:14 did gyre and gimble:
> 'Twas brillig, and Remy CLOUARD at 08/12/12 12:25 did gyre and gimble:
>> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 04:37:43PM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>> [...]
>>> So I've just pushed the package mageia-prepare-upgrade to mga2
>>> core/updates_testing.
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Happy testing. Let me know if it kills any kittens. Please keep a backup
>>> etc. etc.
>>>
>>> Col
>>>
>> Hi Colin,
>>
>> I’ve followed the procedure and could upgrade my system from 2 to
>> cauldron, but I still have an issue with the filesystem package.
>>
>> Somehow it seems like it fails to move /var/run to /run and /var/lock to
>> /run/lock.
>>
>> I would be glad if there could be a workaround for this.
>> Here is a debug output of urpmi:
>> # export LC_ALL=C
>> # export LANG=C
>> # urpmi --debug filesystem
>> error: unpacking of archive failed on file /var/lock: cpio: rename
>> failed - Is a directory
>> error: filesystem-2.1.9-18.mga3.x86_64: install failed
>> error: filesystem-2.1.9-17.mga2.x86_64: erase skipped
>> unlocking urpmi database
>> unlocking rpm database
>> EXITING (pid=11661)
>>
>> The only way out I think would be to manually do the symlink from
>> another install.
>>
>> Could you confirm that ?
>
> Actually yes, there is still a problem at present with /var on a
> separate partition... I need to look into that.

So the latest package should mount /var in the initrd in much the same
way it does with /usr (not exactly the same but I want to make the
changes as unobtrusive as possible and ideally separate from the main
dracut package for convenience of updating).

I presume your setup is such that /var is indeed on a separate partition?

In order to fix this, simply mv the folders out the way and just do the
symlinks manually - it'll mess up the current boot, but a reboot should
fix it.

If the symlinks disappear and are replaced again by folders, then also
make sure you disable mandriva-clean-var-run-lock.service as it
helpfully nukes the symlinks (the update does this but perhaps it's
somehow been run/re-enabled?)

Cheers