[Mageia-dev] Package drop request: ruby-ParseTree

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Dec 10 14:01:09 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Johnny A. Solbu at 08/12/12 10:37 did gyre and gimble:
> On Saturday 8. December 2012 11.06, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>>> Unless I misunderstand, adding it to «task-obsolete» does the same thing, with a 2 week delay on deleting.
>>> So the proper action would be to add it to «task-obsolete».
>> That's still not the proper action.
>
> In other words, I did misunderstand.
>
>> Stop removing packages from end
>> user machines just to remove them from the mirrors as a side effect of
>> our package submission procedure.
>
> So what should we do?
> The current packaging guidelines[1] says that this is the correct action for obsolete packages, which a depcrecated package is.
> If this is not the desired solution, then the guidelines should change. Perhaps just clairfied as to what is an obsolete package, which belongs in task-obsolete, and what is Not an obsolete package even if it's deprecated.
>
> [1] https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Packaging_guidelines#Obsoleting_a_package

I totally agree with Johnny here. If users want to keep unmaintained and
no-longer-supplied packages on their machine (obviously making a
concious decision to not get security updates etc. on such packages)
then they are welcome to add task-obsolete to their urpmi skip lists.

I see absolutely no problem with this and I don't consider this
something that's done as a "side effect", rather it's a quite deliberate
and concious mechanism to remove no longer supported packages from a
users machine.