[Mageia-dev] samba reload does not reread /etc/group

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Dec 14 10:33:19 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Richard Couture at 14/12/12 01:24 did gyre and gimble:
> While teaching a class in admin of GNU & Linux I noted that
> systemctl reload smbd.service does NOT reread the /etc/group file.
>
> When adding a new user to a group which in smb.conf grants them access
> to a share, it was necessary to restart the service in order to grant
> the new group members access.
>
> It seems odd that samba is caching /etc/group and if so, odder that it
> can't reread it during a reload...

It would be very strange if samba were reading /etc/group directly
anyway I think. Shouldn't it delicate to the nsswitch/getent() system?

Does kill -HUP make the problem go away? If so then there is a problem
in the systemd unit file or initscript (depending what smb has). Also if
the initscript does something different on reload than the native
systemd unit then, again, that is a bug.

Failing that, perhaps (assuming it's running) samba is using nscd (name
service cashing daemon) in which case you may need to do a "nscd -i
group" to invalidate the group cache.