[Mageia-dev] systemctl closelog httpd.service not working

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Dec 14 10:43:35 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Richard Couture at 14/12/12 01:14 did gyre and gimble:
> While teaching a class in admin of GNU & Linux I noted that logrotate
> was using SysV notation to close the logs in order to rotate them
> service httpd closelog
> which works fine, but the equivilent command in systemd
> systemctl closelog httpd.service
> does NOT work

This is not expected to work.

sysvinit scripts allowed arbirary commands to be registered but systemd
does not accept any random commands.

"killall -HUP httpd" should do the same thing.

Of course in my opinion the best solution is to hook up apache instead
into the journal. I'd love to have a more structured logging for my web
sites - having had to dig into logs recently for some analysis, the
indexed and searchable logs available via journald would be far, far
nicer :)