[Mageia-dev] *.so files are text in some packages messing up provides (was: Re: abrt+libreport)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Dec 16 12:11:48 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 15/12/12 22:05 did gyre and gimble:
> 'Twas brillig, and Thierry Vignaud at 12/12/12 10:38 did gyre and gimble:
>> On 11 December 2012 17:52, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>>> I have updated versions of these packages (part of my /var/run updates)
>>> locally. Can I submit them? It updates both to the latest upstream, but
>>> I have no real way to test it properly.
>>
>> You could "kill -11" some rendom gtk+ appp (eg: gedit) and see if you
>> get a segfault dialog.
>
> OK, so I downgraded to the current version and tried this and didn't get
> any dialogs...
>
> So for want of any better testing, I've just pushed my updated versions
> for now.
>
> Fingers crossed it didn't make things worse :)

OK, so this is happending:

[root at jimmy ~]# urpmi "pkgconfig(libreport-web)"
A requested package cannot be installed:
lib64report-web-devel-2.0.19-1.mga3.x86_64 (due to unsatisfied
devel(libxmlrpc_client(64bit)))
Continue installation anyway? (Y/n)

It turns out that "devel(libxmlrpc_client(64bit)))" is not provided by
lib64xmlrpc-c-devel. Looking closer this is because when building that
package, objdump does not recognise the file file format and thus
doesn't add provides. Looking closer it appears the files are txt not
symlinks:

[colin at jimmy xmlrpc-c]$ cat /usr/lib64/libxmlrpc_server.so
/* GNU ld script */
INPUT(/usr/lib64/libxmlrpc_server.so.3
AS_NEEDED(/usr/lib64/libxmlrpc.so.3 /usr/lib64/libxmlrpc_util.so.3))

So the question is, should they just be fixed to be symlinks or should
we teach the rpm script the ability to extract info from these these GNU
ld scripts?