[Mageia-dev] ANN: Upgrading from Mageia 2 via urpmi

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 12:55:51 CET 2012

On 16 December 2012 12:38, Mika Laitio <lamikr at pilppa.org> wrote:
> Install started fine and offered that I have about 2200 rpm's to update.
> During the install some package seemed to hang (I don't remember anymore
> which one) and I canceled install with ctrl-c and saw message about
> error in postinst section.
>
> I run urpmi.update again and then "urpmi auto-select" and somehow
> ended up to situation where all my network interfaces are down

maybe b/c kernel-firmware was upgraded first and your network card needs
a firmware that is not compatible between different kernels

> and about 900 rpm's fail to install as some of their dependencies are
> missing.
>
> I tried to download and copy the missing rpm's with another computer to
> usb stick, but usb fails to mount... (I can not see /dev/sdb, etc...
> only /dev/sda which is my harddisk)

Strange... Probably related to your network issue.
You could run "modprobe usb_storage" (you may also have to load the USB
controller modules (see output of "lspcidrake -v"))
Didn't you reboot to a new kernel which you aborted the installation?
What if you boot to an older kernel (eg mga2 one)?