[Mageia-dev] installation: deselect attempts cause select

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 26 15:44:49 CET 2012

This is not a new problem, but I've never seen it mentioned. Typically I test
install to real partitions 4800MiB in size. This limited space is adequate
for what I do with a test installation, but requires I carefully choose what
gets installed or not. Devel, "server", multimedia, games, office apps and
Java I always exclude for space reasons. I don't use them often enough to be
able to recognize if anything was wrong with them. Even though I select
custom instead of KDE or Gnome, and on next screen deselect everything that
won't cause urpmi not to install, several things are preselected that make no
sense for a minimal install, such as every (4 total?) X DE. When I try to
deselect any of several of these preselections, it acts like an initial
selection of a large task instead of a deselection. It takes a second try to
actually deselect. In several cases, the attempt to deselect results in a
select that requires more space than is "available". Before I can deselect in
those cases, I must find smaller selections to deselect and free up space
before it will let me select what I'm actually trying to deselect. Then I
must go back to those indirectly forced deselections to reselect them. When
done, I typically find about 60% or so of the 4800MiB actually gets used by
the time I've configured no-suggests and urpmi'd what I needed but couldn't
select during installation without pulling in the space wasters. Ultimate
goal is usually no frills KDE, with none of file manager, IM, PIM/Kmail or
desktop search. I do 99.97% of my email POP in SeaMonkey, but not in test
installations. All my searching and most text file editing is done using MC.

NAICT, it's impossible to install to include urpmi and exclude 100% of X and
its deps.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/