[Mageia-dev] RFC: dropping prebuilt broadcom-wl drivers

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:54:09 CET 2012

2012/12/27 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> 2012/12/27 Thomas Backlund <tmb at mageia.org>:
>> Thomas Backlund skrev 27.12.2012 17:01:
>>

>>> I wonder if I should create 2 test livecds to ease testing
>>> right now, one without broadcom-wl, and the other
>>> with broadcom-wl and in-kernel drivers blacklisted...
>>>

>> And so I did :)
>>
>> Theese are exactly the same as the official beta1 isos,
>> with only exceptions are the broadcom-wl tests:
>>
>> * No broadcom-wl drivers on iso, and no "wl" entries in ldetect-lst:
>> http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/people/tmb/mga3-beta1-wl-test/Mageia-3-beta1-no-wl-LiveCD-KDE4-en-i586-CD/
>>

>> * broadcom-wl drivers on iso, "wl" entries  in ldetect-lst,
>>   in-kernel drivers blacklisted:
>> http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/people/tmb/mga3-beta1-wl-test/Mageia-3-beta1-wl-LiveCD-KDE4-en-i586-CD/
>>

>> And you can soon find them on any Mageia mirror in:
>>
>> people/tmb/mga3-beta1-wl-test
>
> Thx for the extra work, I had to re-install anyway, am in the middle to do so-
>
> My first attempt is without actiyated non-free which should tell something-
>
> After that I will use the usb stick with enabled non-free and checl
> again. all without cable-

Ok, so now I am at the point where I try to configure wifi without any
additional media than the core repository-
The correct wifi is found but the system says that there are
additionaöl software and drivers needed (namely broadcom-wl) which I
may find in non-free or elsewhere. Just as expected.

Reboot.

Now could I use the same installation to upgrade and use the same usb
stick, just activating the core plus non-free ? Or do I have to redo
the whole instatallotion?

--
wobo