[Mageia-dev] RFC: dropping prebuilt broadcom-wl drivers

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 28 11:29:45 CET 2012

2012/12/27 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> 2012/12/27 Thomas Backlund <tmb at mageia.org>:
>> Wolfgang Bornath skrev 27.12.2012 22:39:

>>> Ok, here I may have been too fast. I went online, set the media
>>> including non-free and shot at 'urpmi dkms-broadcom-wl'- The system
>>> installed 18 packages  but at the end it gave errors:
>>>
>>> Error! Could not locate wl.ko.xz for module broadcom-wl in the DKMS
>>> tree. Yoou must run a dkms build for kernel first-
>>> warning: %post(dkms-broadcom-wl-5.100.82.112-5.mga3.non-free.i586)
>>> scriptlet failed, exit status 4
>>>

>> Hm, do you have the -devel package matching the kernel you use installed ?
>
> Damn! When you are too tired and still go on simple errors are creeping up!
>
> I have to call it a day will go on tomorrow, if my brain is still
> there where I left it. G'night.

Ok, new day new challenges!

I booted with your KDE live with broadcom-wl. Results concerning wifi:

The wifi chip was found and just 4 networks/APs (usually there are
more than 15 metworks in the list). Mine is not on the list, filled in
the infos including password, started but failed. Rebooted, same. Only
4 of the usually more than 15 networks of my block, but not mine nore
any other of the usually busy networks are listed. My wifi router is
standing less than a foot away from the AP and the AP is worling, I
have another machine running MGA3B1 running with wifi (Atheros chip)
working nicely.

--
wobo