[Mageia-dev] task-obsolete - questions about implementation details and how to disable it

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Fri Dec 28 12:12:48 CET 2012

Am 27.12.2012 09:49, schrieb AL13N:
> Op donderdag 27 december 2012 00:02:28 schreef Florian Hubold:
>> Am 25.12.2012 22:41, schrieb Charles A Edwards:

>>> Needed, but if you do not add it to the skip.list it will be
>>> re-installed the next time you update.
>>>
>>>     Charles
>> OK, so there is currently only the option to have all packages
>> obsoleted or to have the mechanism completely disabled?
>> No proper way to only have selected obsoletes?
>>
>> @Thierry, do you have any other clever solution here? Or some
>> workaround or something similar?
> i just don't think there's any reasonable use case for this. (if you're not a
> developer), meaning you can maintain it yourself.

Well, i just gave one use case (k9copy) which does not need to be maintained,
but has been obsoleted. Which does not mean in turn, there's a drop-in
replacement for it and/or that it has become obsolete at all.

With that in mind, quoting the author:

> Published on Sunday, 24 July 2011 Written by Jean-Michel
>
> Developments on K9Copy stopped. After seven years, I decided to move on and
> get involved in other projects.
>
> The DVD is obsolete, and I no longer believe in the future of desktop Linux.
>
> I started working on this project after the installation of Mandrake. I
> thought it was wonderful and it could replace Windows. One thing was missing:
> a software to backup my DVD. That was my first program for Linux. I did not
> know what language to use, or what programming environment. I chose C + + and
> KDevelop on KDE, because it worked well on Mandrake.

Well, the DVD is not really obsolete, many people still use it
and want to provide contents via DVDs as that is the only widespread
medium that most people have players for.

But i get what you mean, and this is quite a cornercase ...
Still i'd be happy if there's some solution for this problem.