[Mageia-dev] exfat support in Mga2

Kamil Rytarowski n54 at gmx.com
Fri Feb 3 17:02:46 CET 2012

On 03.02.2012 16:52, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le vendredi 03 février 2012 à 16:23 +0100, Kamil Rytarowski a écrit :
>> Hello!
>>
>> What do you think of support exfat in Mga2?
>> There are two packages (already in Debian, Fedora, partly Mandriva)
>> exfat-fuse and exfat-utils both iinm shall land in tainted.
> Why ?
>
> if it went to Fedora, it should be good enough for core/
> ( now I do not see it on F16, so maybe you mean something else than "in
> Fedora repository" when you mean "in Fedora" ).

 From Wikipedia:
"An experimental, open source Linux kernel module that supports the
reading of exFAT files is currently under development.[13] It cannot
become an official part of Linux due to the patent encumbered status of
the exFAT filesystem. A FUSE-based full-featured implementation is
currently in beta status."

The packages are in Russian Fedora Free for F15/F16/Rawhide, according
to http://packages.debian.org/sid/exfat-utils

For Debian it's probalby in the main repository (but I'm unsure)
http://packages.debian.org/sid/exfat-fuse
http://packages.debian.org/sid/exfat-utils

Though the software is licensed under GPLv3+.