[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

Michel Catudal michelcatudal at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 03:50:27 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-05 09:58, Maurice Batey a écrit :
> On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 21:04:55 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:
>
>> I have xosl residing on a small primary partition about 16k,
>    I did look at XOSL before settling with Extipl, but found several
> things that put me off:
>
>    (1) It appears to need to occupy a FAT32 (or similar)
> partition. (As an extension to what goes in the MBR?)
>
>    (2) One component in the download package is SBM - another Boot
> Manager (which I had also tried separately but could not get to execute
> on a floppy, for trial purposes). Why is that there?
>    It also encourages one to install the XOSL partition manager.
>
>     (3) Although I signed up for the IOSL forum, it seems I would have to
> then register with Yahoo to do anything  useful (e.g. ask questions).
>
> All I wanted to do is install XSOL in the MBR and try it, but the doc
> keeps talking about 'DOS', and 'FAT32', and LILO!  (I use GRUB as
> bootloader), so I abandoned it in favour of Extipl - though GAG has a
> nice user interface.

It started as a dos application but you should be able to install it from Linux.  I install mine from PC Dos or Freedos depending on which dos I have on the computer. On my computers I always install it on a separate partition, but you can also install it
on the MBR. The size of my xosl partition is around 16k because that is the smallest size I can create a partition under Linux.
The OS/2 bootloader was around 7k. Who care if it is FAT!
On my son's computer I installed it on the MBR.  I installed it using a boot floppy but you should be able to install either from Linux or a freedos live CD. You could create a USB freedos installation.

If you have a floppy drive, create a freedos boot disk and put the files you need and boot on it. If not do the same thing on a USB jump drive.
The beauty with xosl , it is small and works nicely. Being able to put it on a separate partition is a huge advantage over any other bootloader.

--
For OS/2 and Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal