[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Mon Feb 6 18:08:41 CET 2012

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:01:42 +0100, Pierre Jarillon wrote:

> Mageia and Ubuntu
> don't ask if you want a new MBR, they rebuilt it without any question.
> Formely, Mandriva asked where put the boot loader,

 I haven't tried Ubuntu, but have installed Mageia, PCLinixOS, Mandriva
2010 and 2011, and OpenSUSE 12.1, and all of them offered the option
of putting the bootloader (e.g. GRUB) either in the MBR or on the root
partition.
  (I always choose the latter, to faciilate use of a boot manager.)

However, OpenSUSE 12.1 did a particularly good job of recognising
existing Linux installlations, so that even booting it via the MBR would
still offer a selection from all those installations.
   (see photo at:  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10969499/suse-bootup.JPG )
- although the more detailed information came from the partition labels.

A beginner would probably have not got around to multiple installs yet,
so the MBR would be the simplest thing to use, until more experienced.
--
/\/\aurice