[Mageia-dev] FireFox ESR <= we should totally go for this wrt stable releases

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Thu Feb 9 21:56:14 CET 2012

Op donderdag 09 februari 2012 13:04:00 schreef Sander Lepik:
> 09.02.2012 13:35, AL13N kirjutas:
> > ihmo, the users who want the latest versions will not even wait one week,
> > and will grab them from upstream. If we really wanted the latest release,
> > someone could backport them.
>
> And backports work since what time?

that is irrelevant, and we should not assume it will not be ready.

> > the end users will benefit too, because the modules/plugins will still
> > work and not being unstable at every update. as a long time stable user,
> > i prefer the ESR... we've been complaining about too short
> > releasecycles... this is the answer, we should use it.
>
> Most users don't know what to do with tarball. They only know that their
> browser doesn't have latest promoted changes. And that means
> distribution is doing something wrong for them.
>
> We were complaining because extensions didn't work. I don't know how
> many plugins there were with problems. Can't remember any myself.
> Nonbinary extensions are now compatible by default, so one problem less.
>
> ESR means QA testing anyway. It's only bugfixes but that doesn't mean
> you can update w/o testing.

iinm our update policy dictates that our updates should only have updates in
it, and no new features... (unless there is no such supported version)

well, now there is... Either the new versions with extra features go into
backports, or not at all. if this becomes a problem, then it's one more reason
to fix the backports.

we have a clear policy, we should follow it.