[Mageia-dev] OSS sound support

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Feb 13 13:42:40 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and David Walser at 05/02/12 17:59 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Thierry Vignaud at 08/10/11 20:05 did gyre and gimble:

>>> then task-pa should suggests ossp...
>>
>> I'm undecided about this. I'm not sure if the default setup should
>> include OSS sound support or not. Perhaps it would be better left as
>> something that users install if they need it.
>>
>> As we'll eventually have to go through all the packages that require
>> soundwrapper, perhaps we could either:
>>
>> a) Replace the soundwrapper require with a ossp require.
>> b) Patch soundwrapper such that it's a noop if osspd is running and make
>> it require ossp.
>>
>> The latter would mean less churn on packages, but it's arguably just
>> delaying the inevitable work of doing it eventually.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Col
>
> I've released and uploaded a new version of soundwrapper (first one in 4 years :o) that is a no-op if osspd is running.

Nice one David! Thank you so much :)

I fixed the ACL issues in osspd the other week, so users should be able
to use the /dev/dsp device quite happily now without any hacks.

There are still some experimental patches (to cuse, kernel and osspd
IIRC) that will enable mmap support which *should* be the final missing
link for full OSS support in some games.

At some point after mga2 we might want to consider dropping oss support
fully, except via osspd, and thus soundwrapper might eventually be
unneeded... but that discussion certainly doesn't need to happen today
and it's not really a problem either way in my opinion - just a matter
of how "progressive" we want to be :)

Cheers