[Mageia-dev] Backports (WAS: Beta 1 isos)

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Tue Feb 14 11:56:06 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:48:39AM +0100, Juergen wrote in
<4F3A3C07.3020507 at unige.ch>:
>Thank you Remco - the gist of what you say corresponds to my
>recollection of the discussions I have seen. The problem is now, that
>I am confronted with reality: 9 months release interval, a new
>upstream release with lots of promising goodies around the corner -
>and competitivity with other distros who happen to have a more
>fortunate timing.
>
>Lets not open another lengthy discussion on this. But I suggest to
>file these considerations somewhere, and assess the policy once there
>is more practical experience (between backports and flexibility some
>solution is needed rapidly)

I think the answer is in backports becoming available. All other options
have been discussed in length before and I believe this is what we settled
on at the time.

Unfortunately this does mean that timing is sometimes a bit unfortunate
release cycle wise. Mageia 2 will already be a bit later so we can include
new versions of Gnome and KDE, but the line has to be drawn somewhere on
what goes in and what does not.

On the bright side, 9 months do pass quicker than you'd think :-)