[Mageia-dev] About dm

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Feb 17 13:42:25 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:13:03PM +0100, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> As I understand the "minimal" task it should only provide the packages
> to run a respective environment. Chat or other such functionalities do
> not belong in a minimal installation.

This is totally vague. GNOME has defined what modules are part of GNOME.
task-gnome-minimal doesn't reflect that environment. Yet
task-gnome-minimal still exists anyway. It doesn't give you GNOME, it
gives you a few GNOME packages. To me the selection is "whatever runs
without giving obvious errors messages".

> As for your example: when you set up gnome-minimal and after that
> install a chat application it should be this application package's
> task to draw all necessary dependencies (like gnome-contacts).

In my example, I didn't say that another chat application needed to be
installed. I said that it is broken *by default*. Chat is integrated
within GNOME. But broken in task-gnome-minimal. I don't get the reason
behind task-gnome-minimal, so I am not touching this, nor adding a
dependency from gnome-shell on gnome-contacts.

It is just a random example, I noticed others. I test that task-gnome
works, not task-gnome-minimal.

--
Regards,
Olav