[Mageia-dev] xguest and the display manager

Païou paiiou at free.fr
Mon Feb 20 11:31:27 CET 2012

Anne Nicolas launched a discussion about display manager.
>From my part, I try to eliminate good hundred of unwanted packages
during a reduced installation (personal desk, without any group of packages,
but with X server and with urpmi).

Further to Thierry Vignaud's indications and Michael Scherer's remarks,
during the discussion on dm, I proceeded to diverse test installations.
Which are the consequences on the other types of installation (KDE, Gnome)
by the proposed modifications ?
It taken several days, but the local mirror being of use to the installations
remained unchanged.

Why xguest?
-----------
Can be to have at least an installed account?
Maybe to be able to lend his computer?

Is it necessary to keep xguest?
-------------------------------
I would say that yes, but on the condition of not creating unwanted effects.

Current consequences
----------------------
xguest requiresdm (display manager).
xdm is installed by means of the file rpmsrate, item CAT_X.
But xdm do not possess the property dm. Another manager must also be installed.
With the office Gnome, it is gdm.
For a reason which I did not find, in ALL OTHER cases, it is kdm,
with all the dependences.

How to remedy it?
I investigated several possibilities.

- Favor a light dm, such as SLiM or lxdm (or other?), having the property dm
  For this to add a line "slim" or "lxdm" in the file prefer.vendor.list
- Give up xguest
  For this delete xguest of the item CAT_X in rpmsrate
- To give the property dm to the package xdm. xdm is systematically installed.

Consequences?