[Mageia-dev] xguest and the display manager

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:03:29 CET 2012

2012/2/20 Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl>:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 04:01:46PM +0100, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> In order to have a 'guest user', which usually means a passwordless
>> user, you don't need any additional software, you just need to
>> configure your computer. Hence my point than using a package to
>> automatically performing those configuration changes doesn't make
>> sense, and than either a plain documentation, or another fancy
>> configuration wizard would work as well.
>
> I agree that you don't want a package. But no problem with a checkbox
> somewhere which does the right thing (configuring, etc). I think the
> "System Settings" in GNOME allows you to easily setup a new account, so
> IMO, functionality is not needed..

I already mentioned: adding a regular user is no big deal, be it with
Gnome or via userdrake or on CLI. But xguest is a special user with
extended attributes (like only temporarily saving of changes xguest
makes during a session). How would you configure this?

BTW: I often expressed my annoyance to see system wide settings being
handled in a DE dependent tool (like this user account setting in
Gnome) while there is a tool with the same function/task in MCC. A DE
"System Settings" should limit its tasks to DE related functions
because
 - DE "System settings" can conflict with MCC tools
 - are only avaiable for that DE, not for all others while a system
related tool should be available no matter which DE is used.

--
wobo