[Mageia-dev] hicolor-icon-theme question

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Feb 21 10:41:23 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 21/02/12 09:04 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:30:24AM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>> What is the right policy of using this package? Is it really needed?
>
> Yes, see http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/wiki/HicolorTheme.
>
> Ignore the name, historical thing. Basically all icons are based upon
> this theme. Somewhat proper name might be freedesktop-icon-theme or
> something.

Yeah it would be kinda nice to rename it to freedesktop-icon-theme and
then symlink /usr/share/icons/freedesktop to /usr/share/icons/hicolor...
then gradually transition all apps using hicolor to use freedesktop instead.

This would be the "right" thing to do but I suspect that the gains are
not worth the pains... it would certainly clarify things a bit tho'.