[Mageia-dev] ConsoleKit vs systemd session tracking for Mageia 2

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Feb 24 10:35:07 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 03:51:25PM +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> A bunch of GNOME modules now have --enable-systemd configure flags. This
> will make them use systemd instead of (deprecated ConsoleKit) to track
> login sessions.
[..]
> These seem to be compile time checks. Meaning: if --enable-systemd is
> added to ./configure, the functionality won't work on sysvinit. I am not
> sure exactly what will break under sysvinit. The bugreports to contain
> some discussion though.

Update

Apparently some of the GNOME modules automatically fall back to
ConsoleKit even with compiled with --enable-systemd. Only a few GNOME
modules do not fallback (at runtime). I talked to someone from Arch
(heftig) who wants to make all GNOME modules automatically fall back to
ConsoleKit.
Arch will default to sysvinit with an option to choose systemd. 'Heftig'
would add the bugs (patches) he'll file to the existing systemd tracker
bug (@ GNOME Bugzilla).

I think it is good to wait until after Mageia 2. This as we haven't been
using the systemd support up to now, so it might break things. Further,
I don't know when heftig will have all his patches ready.

--
Regards,
Olav