[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release dovecot-1.2.17-3.mga2

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Mon Feb 27 21:57:49 CET 2012

Maarten Vanraes a écrit :
> Op maandag 27 februari 2012 09:20:17 schreef Guillaume Rousse:
>
>> Le 27/02/2012 08:00, Maarten Vanraes a écrit :
>>
>>> Is it necessary to have these --with[out]* compile flags in the package
>>> description?
>>>
>> maybe not necessary, but definitively useful.
>>

>>> maybe it'd be better to just list whatever support it has been built
>>> with.
>>>
>> It has been a standard practice for all our packages allowing
>> conditional build options for quite a long time. Of course, this could
>> be mentioned elsewhere as package description.
>>
> i have no problem it being in the spec file, but surely a better place rather
> than the description... it's not like users really need to know which compile
> flags there is or what you can do with rpmbuild...
>
> i'm just saying this info should be moved out to comments in spec file, and
> change the description to state what exactly is compiled in...

It can be very useful for users to know what functions are activated in
a package - which the compile flags often indicate.  In the man page (or
other documentation) there is often reference to functions available "if
activated".
So I would favour keeping compile flags in the description, if it is
possible that they make a difference in the functions available.
However if the compile flags are required to make the package build
properly, then it does make sense to make them a comment in the spec file.

My 2 cents :)

--
André