[Mageia-dev] PHP + phpBB mod capabilities needed to fix bug 1956 - please help

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 3 10:09:19 CET 2012

2012/1/3 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> Le lundi 02 janvier 2012 à 22:17 +0100, Maarten Vanraes a écrit :

>> > My eyes start to bleed dues to such "guidances".
>>
>> i'm sure misc means to say that we should have all our changes in
>> packages/puppet config so that we can update without issues. and with file
>> edits, that's a whole different thing.
>
> I was more thinking of proper patchs or better, proper modules, with
> files to deploy in a well know directory .

I only gave a part of an example. MODs are made as enhancement to the
standard software. The easiest MOD is like Michael wrote: "a module
with files to deploy in a well known directory". But in most cases
they consist of files to copy into various directories of the program
tree and changes to existing files of the software. There are other
MODs which can be implemented automatically - which is far worse IMHO.
This is where a modded phpBB3 could turn into a nightmare to maintain
- believe me, I've been there :(

Of course no developper of a MOD could know what somebody has already
done to the standard files, so it's not possible do use only patches.
And it could be (and that happens quite often) that a MOD is not
compatible to your already "modificated" forum software (destroys
other modifications or whatever).

IMHO the best way in this case here would be a mod written for our
setup, all changes well defined to make it maintainable in a proper
way. Saying this I beg to think again whether the issue  justifies all
the time and work.

--
wobo